Please note that I am currently observing social distancing and only teaching online.
I enjoy teaching English to speakers of other languages.
I will assess your needs for free – first by email, and then face-to-face (whether online or in person).
After that, I charge between £20 and £30 per hour for one-to-one lessons. Costs per person may be discounted for small groups.
I can teach students from all around the world online, for example via Zoom, at no extra cost.
When teaching in person, I can come to your home or meet in a public place such as a bar or cafe, and I will not charge for travel within 2 miles of Bristol city centre. I particularly like North Street, Bedminster. For more distant in-person lessons, I will charge extra for travel.
I work with learners aged 18 and above.
I look forward to your email!
Relevant background and experience:
- Taught English for Academic Purposes online as Assistant Professor at Heriot-Watt University in summer 2020
- Completed a course in Teaching English Online from Cambridge Assessment English on FutureLearn in April 2020
- Teaching English one-to-one since June 2019
- Taught at the International House and OISE language schools in Bristol in summer 2019
- Completed a CELTA course (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) at International House Bristol in April 2019
- Worked in the English Language Teaching department at Oxford University Press
- First class BA in English language and literature from Oxford University
- Distinction-level MPhil in criticism and culture from the English faculty at Cambridge University
- PhD in art history from the Open University
- A trained copy-editor and proofreader since 2015, working with graduate students, academics, and professional authors, including non-native English speakers
A longer CV can be found here.
If your English is at an advanced level and you particularly want to improve your writing, you may also be interested in my editorial services.